Eberspächer in the Czech Lands
The company Eberspächer had close contacts with the Pilsen-based Škoda, the then industrial giant of Austro-Hungary, already before World War I. At the time of the first Czechoslovak republic, that is to say in between 1918 and 1938, the contacts developed in a standard way, as was common at the time between advanced neighbouring European countries. During the war as well as after the communist putsch in Czechoslovakia in 1948 the normality was gone. And so it is astonishing, that even at that time the cooperation extended, particularly in the 1970s and 1980s. There were logical reasons behind it, as we will see further. And what´s more, even a joint production was established. In the socialism period, the cooperation with a company from the West, and what is even worse - from the Federal Republic of Germany, and even the production of components for its products was something inconceivable. Such cases throughout the whole communism era can be counted on the fingers of one hand. The joint production with Eberspächer was one of them.
There are a number of reasons for us to look into that matter closely.
The company WEMA in Prague - the 1930s
Three drawings have been preserved in the corporate archive Historeum Eberspächer which document that on the turn of the 1920s/1930s the company had its own subsidiary and workshops in Prague. In the drawing from April 25, 1930 it says: “WEMA, workshops specialized in non-puttyed glass roofs Eberspächer&company, Prague”. It was a design of the foundation and ground-floor of a medium-sized workshop (designs no. 560a and 561a).

Further design comes from September 1936 (without designation). It is a design of a building for the company WEMA Ing Dub and company in Prague XIII, Staré Strašnice 1056. This ground building served as administration and projection office.

Reconstructed WEMA buildings still exist in Prague. The rooflights and supporting roof construction have not changed even after three quarters of a century.

A drawing of the Prague WEMA workshop from April 1930.